Half a year after its release, is the new gaming console worth the hype?
It’s been 7 months since the Nintendo Switch was released worldwide. A while back, I wrote a piece called “Dear Nintendo” essentially asking Nintendo for a few basic things I thought necessary for the Switch to succeed. Now that the hybrid handheld-console has been on the market for half a year, I wanted to discuss the current state of the Nintendo Switch.
I bought my Switch in June with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Zelda blew me away with its depth and amount of content. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the best Mario Kart game I’ve ever played — and I’ve played every Mario Kart since 64. Even games I bought later like Arms and Splatoon 2 impressed me more than I thought possible. With Mario Odyssey slowly approaching, It’s a great time to own a Nintendo Switch.
After playing around with it for a few months, I still see myself using my PS4 as my primary console, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I use my Switch in handheld mode about 90% of the time (the other 10% being if I want to show it off or play MK8 with my girlfriend). The docked mode looks great, but handheld mode honestly feels more natural. The Joy-Cons are perfect when used like a handheld console, but feel small in the grip included with the console. Holding a joycon in each hand is surprisingly comfortable, and using the attachable wrist straps for Arms made me realize the potential of good motion control.
For those wondering whether or not now is the right time to buy a Switch, I would say the only thing that should stop you is Nintendo’s lack of systems in the wild. I had to drive an hour away to get mine and I’m considered lucky. Mario Odyssey comes out October 27th and as that date inches closer and closer, Switch demand will only rise. If you were on the fence like I was, know the Switch is worthy of the hype.
Segaro “Bo” Bozart is a third-year IMC major who bought the Switch the day it came out. You can reach them at firstname.lastname@example.org.