Want to make the best of your new PS4? Here are five tips on maximizing the user experience.
By: Segaro “Bo” Bozart, Contributing Writer
The PS4 has become one of the most popular consoles of all time. It has dominated console sales since its launch in November of 2013, with over 50 million units sold. As momentum carries, new gamers will enter the ecosystem. For those new players, here are five ways you can get the most out of your PS4 right away.
1. Playstation Plus: Playstation Plus is Sony’s online service for the Playstation family. Not only does it allow access to online multiplayer, but it offers free games every month, discounts on current games, features like background updates and file sharing and more. PS Plus is a must for anyone trying to take advantage of the Playstation’s fantastic online infrastructure.
2. Sharing is Caring: The PS4 allows players to connect their console to their personal Twitter and Facebook pages to share video and screenshots directly from the console. Add friends to party up in online multiplayer games and form communities for gamers with similar interests. You can even stream to Youtube or Twitch through the UI. The PS4’s sharing capabilities are second to none, and it is accessible with the push of the Share button.
3. Personalize your console: The Playstation store offers themes and backgrounds to outfit your PS4’s UI. You can customize the icons, backgrounds, and the UI’s music to fit your favorite game’s theme. You can even use pictures or screenshots from your play sessions as your wallpaper for the XMB menu. It’s also worth tinkering with folders to organize your games. Separate software into folders to cut down on the clutter, especially if you have a lot of downloaded titles.
4. PS Store: The Playstation store not only has games and downloadable content to download directly onto the PS4, but it has movies, music, demos, and TV shows as well. Be sure to check in often for seasonal sales as well as the occasional flash sale where you can get games with a pretty generous discount.
5. Binge everything: PS4 has video, movie, and TV streaming apps like Youtube, Hulu, Netflix and more. But you have to download them from the PS Store or the Media dropdown menu from the XMB. Connect your accounts so you never have to leave the couch, turn your PS4 off or sleep ever again.
Segaro “Bo” Bozart is a sophomore IMC major who minors in improving your PS4 experience. You can reach them at href=”mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org”>email@example.com.